The Latin American, Latino and Caribbean Center (LALCC), in keeping with the distinctive mission; values; and traditions at Central Connecticut State University, promotes the understanding and the appreciation of the historical, social, and cultural life of Latin American and Spanish Speaking Caribbean societies and of Latinos in the United States through Latino and Latin American Academic programs at CCSU, LALCC sponsored research projects for faculty and students, community events, study abroad, international exchange, community outreach and student engagement and support. Because of the importance of the Latino community as one of the largest minority groups in the United States, the Center plays an important role in providing educational opportunities to Latino students promoting Latino culture and in maintaining a harmonious relationship with non-Latino cultures. The Center’s mission is consistent with the University’s mission of fostering diversity and global awareness.
FULFILLING THE MISSION
In order to fulfill our mission, we organize multiple educational and cultural activities that aim to:
- Support, develop and promote the existing academic programs at CCSU, with special emphasis on curriculum, research, and educational activities of such programs (Latino and Puerto Rican studies, Latin American studies, programs in Hispanic language and culture) associated with the Center.
- Design research projects that help us better understand the nature of the issues that affect our community and put Latino students in situations of disadvantage (academic achievement gap, income inequality, health disparities).
- Engage and support student involvement in the LALCC and Latino educational, cultural and research experiences at CCSU through student-work projects in the LALCC, affiliated faculty-student research and Latino and Latin American issues, mentoring and tutoring program in the Center, and outreach and collaborative projects with CCSU student organizations.
- Coordinate and organize cultural events on campus or the community with special emphasis on languages and culture of the Latino community of Central Connecticut, such as film festivals, events on music or literature, and even the creation of our own publications/platforms toward this end.
- Engage in a variety of community outreach activities that related to Latin American and Spanish Speaking Caribbean communities in Central Connecticut, focusing especially on links that connect elementary and high school teachers and students to Central Connecticut State University (CCSU).
- Establish a network of relationships with the community (representatives, business, media, alumni), invite them to serve as role model for our current Latino students.
- Develop and promote CIE study abroad and study away courses and other opportunities that advance and expand student educational experiences in the cultural area covered by the center.
- Work jointly with other Centers and offices to seek external funding to support programs sponsored by the Center.
- Increase the recruitment and retention of Latino students by providing mentoring and tutoring services
- Foster a welcoming, inclusive, informed, and sensitive campus climate through providing opportunity for the entire campus community to enhance their cultural awareness and competency with Latino culture. Through Latino focused social and educational opportunities international Latino and Latin-American students, faculty, and staff strengthen their sense of belonging and feel connected to the campus life.